What is a Book Talk?
A Book Talk is a 2 to 3 minute talk about a particular book featured on your Book Fair.
When to hold a Book Talk:
Before and during your Book Fair.
Why hold a Book Talk?
It is an excellent way to create awareness and excitement for your students about your Book Fair; Book Talks
can add sparkle, revenue and, most importantly, improve literacy and inspire a love of books.
How to hold a Book Talk:
During morning announcements, assembly, class time and/or library time, gather students and have them
seated comfortably on chairs or on the floor.
- Note pages you wish to read from
- Write down a question to ask the students that will connect them to the featured title
- Write down a statement that summarises the books main theme for students
- Share the heart of the story without telling the whole story
- Include significant or unusual details about the main characters, plot or location to encourage students' interest in the books
- Don't give away the ending.